Sprin

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Um...Hello!

I am not even going to pretend I know where I last left off...McKenna went to some dance, Danny was still at some school, Lindsay was transferring to some other school that was meant to be in the beginning!

Since then, life has been gold! I can honestly say, all my kids are happy (and Ron and I are happy) and content with the life they have chose and the life they envision for themselves! And they still like to call and/or visit their mom!

McKenna has completed her year as MMLOT and given up her crown..the good thing is she gave it up to one of her best friends Ciarra! The bad thing is I/she misses her crown! McKenna honestly had a great year representing Moses Lake and I can not tell a lie...I had a fun year with her!

Lindsay has transferred to Eastern Washington University! It's funny how things come full circle! This is the first place we looked at during her senior year...then WSU then ASU (which she went to for a year and LOVED Arizona, but so far away, not so much) SFCC for 3/4 of a year and now back to EWU!! So happy for her, this is a much better fit than anything she has done and she looks and feels great! (And my kids closer to home makes me a MUCH happier mama!)

Danny...wish I saw his smiling face more! But I know growing up means reality sets in and responsibilities take over! Dan is doing GREAT at WSU, just recieved another grant that at the LEAST looks great on his resume, at the most pays for part of his education, which makes his dad and I so VERY proud! For his JR year in college, the child is doing okay! We look forward to many more things in his future!

And then on top of the family updates, I have a RECIPE...I know I should space these things out, but because my history shows it will be 3+ months til a new recipe and/or update, I'm going to do one whenever I feel like it! Oh well! My mom and the three other people that see this understand!

Both my girls and Ron gave me a HUGE thumbs up for this recipe!

Stovetop Fideos

Makes 4 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
Active time 45 min Total 45 min

Fideos, a toasted pasta dish served in both Mexico and Spain, always begins with toasting vermicelli-style pasta and varies quite a bit from there. Some versions morph into vegetable-noodle soup, some versions are less brothy and more like a pasta main course. Our vegetarian, summer-vegetable-packed version features green beans, corn and tomatoes. Omit the cheese to make in vegan.

3 TB extra-virgin olive oil, divided
8 oz whole wheat angel hair pasta, broken into 2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
2 cups 1-inch green bean pieces
1 med onion - diced
4 cloves garlic - minced
2 med tomatoes - diced
1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen (thawed)
1/2 t dried oregano
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 t salt
1/2 c finely shredded Cotija or Asiago cheese
2 scallions, sliced
Lime wedges

Heat 2 TB oil in a Dutch oven over med heat. Add pasta pieces and cook, stirring, until toasted and browned in spots, 2 - 3 min. Transfer to bowl.

Add the remaining 1 TB oil to the pan and heat over med heat. Add green beans, onion and garlic and cook, stirring until the beans are beginning to soften, 3 - 5 min. Add tomatoes, corn and oregano and cook, stirring, until the tomatoes are just beginning to break down, 1 - 2 min. Stir in broth, salt and the toasted pasta: bring to a boil over high heat.

Reduce heat to med-low, cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until the pasta is tender and most of the broth is absorbed, about 7-10 min. Serve topped with cheese and scallions, with lime wedges on the side.

Per Serving: 443 calories, 17 g fat, , 16 g protein, 12 g fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment